How To Use Vaping To Quit Smoking
Looking for the best way to quit smoking cigarettes and switch to vaping? Here, you’ll find motivational advice for quitting and the best vapes to get started.
Good things happen when you quit smoking. For one, you reduce your risk of getting cancer – lung and otherwise – as well as your risk for heart disease, COPD, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. In addition, you'll notice all those unsavoury symptoms, like the smoker's cough, wheezing and shortness of breath start to subside.
Some of these effects happen over time, and others can occur in as little as 20 minutes after you put that final cigarette down.
Whatever your reason for kicking the habit, there is a whole range of incentives to keep you motivated. The NHS Smoke Free website has said that there is growing evidence that e cigarettes can help people stop smoking but adds that you should also stop smoking cigarettes to get the best from vaping.
Best Vapes to Quit Smoking
If you smoke 10-20 cigarettes a day, starting with a disposable e cigarette may not be the best choice. It won’t offer enough strength or vapour to fulfil your cravings.
Instead, there is a huge variety of e cigarettes to choose, from fully custom-built devices known as mods, pods and starter kits.
Vape starter kits are a great way to ease yourself into vaping. They're easy to use and are designed for people who haven't vaped before.
Vape mods are for the more experienced vaper. Because vape mods come in a variety of options and are customisable, you're sure to find the right one for your vaping needs.
Vape pods are a great choice for those who are new to vaping and those who are more experienced. They are compact, sleek and lightweight. Vape pods come in a wide range of options and are super easy to use.
Choosing Your Flavour
Many people choose a tobacco flavour when first quitting smoking, but with so many e-liquid flavours and kits to choose from, it's easy to find a flavour that will suit you.
At Vapemate, Virginia tobacco does make our top five, but others are fruity or vanilla custard. The most popular is menthol. There are many kits perfect for beginners, while some people do go straight to a more advanced kit, such as those by Smok vape.
There's also the option of DIY vape using e liquid flavour concentrates, to get create your perfect blend.
But that’s what makes switching from smoking to vaping so great – the choice of vape flavour, while still getting that nicotine hit, if that’s what you require. But don’t worry, it can take a bit of trial and error to get the right flavour and the right nicotine strength that suits you.
Life's Better after Tobacco
It may seem like a no-brainer to quit, but as we're all well aware, it's hardly ever that simple. There could be psychological or social factors that prevent people from succeeding in their efforts (if they ever get to the point of trying). But even when you're totally in the right headspace to quit, your body could put up quite the fight. Nicotine is, after all, about as addictive as heroin or cocaine.
Then there are the withdrawal symptoms. These usually kick in a few hours after your last cigarette, but you might not be out of the woods for another few days or weeks. Think irritability, depression, anxiety, fitful sleep, headaches, dizziness, restlessness, and plenty more where that came from.
Tips on Quitting for Good
If you've tried and failed to quit cigarettes, there are a number of steps you can take to make your next shot more successful, and that includes focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel:
- Pick a relatively quiet, stress-free time to quit.
- Enlist a support network. Have your friends and family hold you accountable, and ask for their patience in advance.
- Brainstorm a list of activities you can do to replace the things you normally associate with smoking (like going on cigarette breaks with your coworkers).
- Remind yourself that no matter how intense your cravings will feel, they're only temporary.
- Try using a smoking cessation aid if cold-turkey is something that didn't work for you in the past.
Glossary of Common Terms in Vaping
- PG– Propylene Glycol. A main ingredient of e liquid. Gives the ‘throat hit’.
- VG– Vegetable Glycerin. A main ingredient of e liquid. Thicker than PG, this is what helps create the cloud.
- Mg– Milligrams, the measure of nicotine strength.
- Box Mod– The power unit, holds the batteries and controls the elements of your vape experience such as power output.
- Tank– This is what holds the e liquid and supplies the wick.
- Coil– A metal wire shaped into a coil with wicking material through the middle. Power is fed through the wire from the battery.
- Atomiser– The collective parts of the e cigarette that converts e liquid to a vapour.
- Clearomiser– An atomiser with a clear tank.
- Wattage/Power output– Power supplied from the batteries. Different e liquids vapourise at different power levels. For example, a high VG e liquid requires more power.
- Dripping– Pouring the e liquid straight onto the wicking material.
- Ohm– The measurement of electrical resistance (the coil). Important if you build your own coils as you get more advanced.
- Wicking– Material in the centre of the coil that draws the e liquid.
- O-rings– helps prevent tank leakages
Read our full vaping glossary.
While you're here, why not check out our beginners guide to vaping?.